Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Mike Meraz- Three Poems

The Curse Of The Ages

get ready for heartbreak
cause here she comes
bending down
ordering a sandwich
leaning over a shopping cart
glancing to the left
glancing to the right
all those wonderful things she does
(how can any girl be that pretty?)
I stand pretending not to care
I have seen her before
and her smile made my last four years
but now it’s just plain cruel
because that is all she gives me
or will ever give me
I wave hoping to get her attention.
"how are you?" I say
"good" she replies
as she glances away
(polite disinterest)
I walk away
hating she is not mine
but some other guys
who is probably as comfortable around her
as he is with his own mother.
but as for me
my heart is caught in my throat
all the blood in my body
is holding a five minute meeting in my face
there is nothing I can do about it.

the curse of the ages:

wanting something so much
it makes you unable to have it.



It Is Not Love

it is
need,
want,
desire,
a sudden awareness
of time slipping by,
a momentary lapse
of consciousness,
of truth
and meaning.

it is not love.

it is fear
of being alone
all by yourself
with no spouse,
no kids,
no dog,
no house,
no...

it is not love.

it is suicide
to settle.




Part 2

love falters.
it fails.
it is not the meal
but the dessert of life;
the cherry on top
of the sundae
you have built
on your own.


BIO:  Mike Meraz is a poet from Los Angeles who currently lives in New Orleans. He is the author of two books of poetry "Black-Listed Poems" and "All Beautiful Things Travel Alone."  He is also the author of "Black-Listed Thoughts" a book of quotes, available through Propaganda Press. Mike has been published in magazines such as Word Riot, Gutter Eloquence, Pearl Magazine, Chiron Review, Haggard & Halloo, Pulp Metal Magazine and many others. 



1 comment: