Thursday, February 12, 2015

Donal Mahoney- Three Poems


Saving the Chickens

It’s the last day 
at the Taj Mahal Indian Buffet
with chicken tandoori  
steaming on a silver tray 
centerpiece of a rainbow array 
of vegetables and rice. 

No customers today  
as three ladies outside 
march back and forth
placards high 
deploring the slaughter
of innocent chickens. 

They’ve given up their
lunch hour again today
before going back to work
at the clinic for women
who want to exercise 
their reproductive rights.



Without Benefit of Wimple

Covey of nuns
without benefit of wimple

graciously attired 
sport coat, turtleneck, skirt

scurry through the airport
iPads swinging

unaware the turtleneck 
is their Roman collar.



The Human Condition

Did I forgive her, you ask?
What a silly question.
Why wouldn't I forgive her?
The mother of my children,

she's been dead for years.
Our long war died with her.
Did I attend her funeral?
I'd have been a distraction.

But I pray for her, 
the repose of her soul.
She belongs in Heaven,
no denying that, up front

in a box seat after all 
she's been through.
If I'm lucky, I'll find 
the side door to 

Heaven unlocked.
I'll sneak in quietly
and if Peter doesn't  
throw me out, I'll sit

in the bleachers.
The question is, 
will I wave if she 
turns around?



Donal Mahoney lives in St. Louis, Missouri. 

No comments:

Post a Comment